Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

6 Weeks Down





This weekend marks my halfway point on base - 6 weeks down, 6 weeks to go. So far, the time is flying by! The past week was filled with lots of dives, two on most days, and lots of homework. As part of the divemaster internship, I actually have to attend a few lectures, do some homework and presentations on various aspects of coral reefs and its inhabitants. Nothing too hard, but it is using parts of my brain that are a bit dusty, which is good for me. The weather was crap this week - rainy and almost cold on most days, but we still got some awesome dives in. I managed to avoid the lion fish and see two octopus - which are currently my favorite sea creature, at least until I see a whale shark. There was a young whale shark hanging around on one of our dives that was probably 20 meters away from me, but I didn't see it because the visibility was so poor (which is actually good for whale sharks - it means there is lots of plankton and things in the water for them to eat). 3 people in our group got to dive and swim with the whale shark for about 15 minutes before it swam off. Pretty amazing stuff - I can't wait to actually see one with my own eyes. Here are some shots from my dives this week, and from trips to Victoria over the past few weeks from the market and various spots around town. My little Canon point and shoot camera broke a few weeks back in La Digue, so all I have is my GoPro which has a fisheye lens - hence most of the pics are fisheyed. Enjoy!




Perty fish



Anemone fish

Eel

Oriental sweet lips fish

Porcupine fish

Porcupine fish close up

Razor fish

Reef (Corals include porites and acropora, in case you are wondering)

Willie's Bay Reef - one of my favorite dive sites we get to survey


The market in Victoria, a bookshop and some other random shots around town.....

Fish Market

Fish market

Unidentified fruit

Fish, chiles, etc for sale

Fruit

Tourist crap for sale

Spices

More tourist souvenirs for sale

Bright dresses

supermarket - kind of like the Seychelles Wal-Mart

Fancy bookshop here

1 comment:

  1. These pics are so cool! That market looks amazing. Have you had a chance to eat some of that (presumably unbelievably fresh and delicious) seafood from the fish market?

    ReplyDelete