Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

The New Flat (That's Apartment for you Americans)

Last weekend started the second phase of my time here in Seychelles - three months living in Beau Vallon and interning at the Seychelles Underwater Centre working towards my divemaster certification (DM, if you will).  When we arrived at our new place, the flat was a bit of a mess with broken beer bottles on the balcony, a few weeks worth of trash in the kitchen, and my personal favorite - the neighbor's cat wandering around aimlessly inside. Now that we've done a camp clean or two and scrubbed the place down, it sparkles and shines and is quite nice - especially the washing machine and hot showers. Oh and there is that balcony with the INCREDIBLE view of the Beau Vallon Bay, where I spend 90% of my waking hours when I'm at home. The balcony faces north and looks out to the Bay where we dive almost every day. You can also see North Island, the smaller island on the right hand side, which is the private resort island where William and Kate famously spent their honeymoon. Silhouette Island is the larger island on the left that is home to a fancy schmancy ($$$$$$) Hilton resort that I will probably never see. I've taken photos of the sunset almost every night because it seems to get better every night. The new place is amazing, except for a few annoying animal neighbors that wake me up at night. There are wandering roosters that crow at all hours and approximately 496 dogs that bark all night long at each other. Pretty sure I can actually hear every single dog in Beau Vallon barking since the sound tends to travel uphill.   Oh well, if that is what I have to put up with to live here - I think I can learn to sleep with ear plugs. Sacrifices. Here is a tour of the new place....



Entry way - with my new sweet shoes

Living room and diving room. Look, a TV with a DVD player! 

The balcony

Kitchen
 
Fancy electronics in our kitchen!

Damn straight. Texan Sizzling Steak seasoning that Dan found at the grocery store down the hill from the flat

HOT SHOWER. YES!!

My room

Two closets! This is far too luxurious for me

Washing machine!  (And many clothes lines)

North Island

Silhouette Island

Fruit bat flying over at sunset


"red-headed crazy birds"

Silhouette Island, again

Morning rainbow



Yes, that is me - turns out 3 months in the sea and sun does in fact turn your hair blonde.

Panorama view from the balcony at sunset. 






1 comment: