Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Austin: Part Uno

It was a cold day in February 2005 when I rolled into the town that I would call home for the next seven years. Like my hopes, the sun was high....

....just kidding! This is not some long-winded and drawn out story of my life in Austin. Since there is now a limit to my time left in the capital city, I plan to occasionally photos of my favorite places/people/things that I am leaving behind. Yes, I might only be gone for six months, but I might also be gone for longer if another interesting opportunity presents itself after my program is complete. Either way, this project will be a fun way for me to capture the place that I've called home for the past seven years.

Part Uno: Mount Bonnell

Situated in the hills of west Austin above Lake Austin is my favorite place in town - Mount Bonnell. If you have come to visit me, chances are I've taken you there. No, it is not a fourteener in Colorado with majestic views of the Rocky Mountains, nor is it the spectacular Na Pali Coast in Kauai. It is merely Mount Bonnell - where couples go to watch the sunset between lip locks and pose for adorable Facebook photos, where kids go to scratch their names in the rock and cry out when they trip and fall, where dogs go to mark their territory and have their poo left behind by inattentive owners, where friends go to sit and chat over illegal open containers and where the poor, like me, go to drool over the enormous houses lining the lakefront down below. 

It is also where I go to sit, watch the sunset and reflect on how truly grateful I am to be here and live in this city. Roll your eyes if you must, but I love running up the countless stairs to the top, reaching the edge of the cliff gasping for air and taking in the view. I look up Lake Austin to the cars on the 360 bridge, across to the homes along Westlake Drive, down to the boats zipping along the water with water skiers and wake boarders trailing behind, and up to the sun setting behind the antennae covered hills. I soak in the sights, catch my breath and then run down the trail along the cliff back down to the parking lot down below. 

Unless otherwise noted, the  photos below are from this past Sunday, a glorious spring day with a cool breeze and clear sky. Enjoy!

view up Lake Austin towards the 360 bridge

view down Lake Austin towards the Tom Miller Dam



My little Honda Fit would look quite nice in that big, lonely driveway

Sunset over West Lake Hills, 6:23pm

From spring 2011

From spring 2011, with my niece




No comments:

Post a Comment